Wednesday, November 5, 2008

America is going to be just fine

After last night's historic election, lots of people are saying this country is going to hell in a hand basket. Because of our "radical muslim" President-elect. And because that his middle name is Hussein, that makes him a terrorist. It's probably as common a name as Michael. And we only have a bad taste for it because of the former dictator of Iraq. I am so glad that John McCain isn't butt hurt and is willing to support Barack Obama and help get the policies that he wants passed. Scary Sarah on the other hand, is already campaigning for 2012. And I pray to God that she doesn't get past the primaries because she, not John McCain or Barack Obama, would take this country down a path that we don't need to go. Taking away womens rights? Overturning Roe v. Wade? that doesn't need to happen.

Yes, I am a mother but I am also pro-choice. How is this possible? I don't think it's my place or the federal government to tell women what they should or shouldn't do with their bodies. I am so glad that if something bad ever happened to my daughter, she has the right to choose to terminate a pregnancy or not. I have a friend who has 3 beautiful kids and before she had her third child, she had an abortion. But she told me she was already bleeding for a while so she had probably already lost the child and didn't want to go through any more suffering. And if you think women can just go in and have an abortion and be fine about it, you coulnd't be any more wrong. She told me she lives with the pain and anguish of it every day. If that isn't punishment enough, I don't know what is.

Moving on, I sincerely hope that the future President gets the troops out of Iraq in a timely and efficient manner. Yes, immediate withdrawal of all troops is pointless and wouldn't help at all. But my husband told me that nothing goes on over there that they don't know about.

You do not need to pray for America, we are going to be just fine. We do need to pray for the close-minded people who think that this is the end of the world because there is a black man in office. Isn't this what America is about? Minorities rising up and overcoming adversity to lead? But this is just one southern girl's opinion. Inly 1200+ people voted for Obama in Mccreary county and I am glad to say I am one of them.

0 love notes: