Wednesday, July 20, 2011

On being a photographer and having a "business"

I've had my camera for over a year now. I absolutely love it. As I used it more and more, I started using it more and more and found out I really loved taking pictures. So I thought why not put my $600 camera to good use and start taking pictures for people. The first person I ever took photos for was Jessca for her senior year.

A few months passed and I had a baby and things like that then a couple months ago I thought "why not make a facebook page to showcase my talents and maybe get a little cash from doing so?" Because in all honesty, my pictures are a lot better than some people around here who are getting business left and right. But they do have one advantage that I do not: a studio. So I recently did a photo shoot for an engaged couple and I, reluctantly, did it for free. They were amazing, I had excellent feedback from everyone about them but then that's where things kind of halted. Over a month now and I only have one shoot booked and that's in August on the day of my mom's wedding. So we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I know I'm not educated in photography. I'm still working on getting my associate's in arts degree then going to University to become a history teacher. {Eyes on the prize} But in the meantime, this is something I am over the moon about doing and I have been told by several people that you don't need to go to college to be a good photographer. I am hoping with the money I earn from photo shoots, I can buy new lenses and further my photography aspirations. Right now I am trying to take an active role in promoting my photography business, however, this is a place where people are set in their ways and aren't really keen on new things. I don't know what to do...I've thought about closing up shop and cutting my losses, also talking with another local photographer and maybe combining forces, but I want to do this on my own. It's pass or fail, win or lose, all or nothing, on me. I feel like kicking and screaming to everyone on facebook "don't got to XYZ!! Their pictures suck!! I'm so much better!!" But I know that's extremely unprofessional and so I just have to bite my tongue and let the business come to me...if it ever will.

Speaking of, if you want to be a fan of my photography page on facebook, here it is:

0 love notes: